Popular Post

Jack Mackenroth by CoverUp



Readers of FH know that Jack Mackenroth, best known to some for his time on Project Runway is one of my favorite men and I have posted about Jack several times in the past. I want to call myself a fan, but at the same time the word 'fan' almost diminishes the immense respect and admiration I have for Jack. Jack's work and activism on behalf of HIV is not just speeches and fundraising. Jack lives a life so full, that it is an inspiration in itself, and far more powerful a statement than any speech that could be made.

In fact, when I contacted Jack about this post he was just about to jump on a plane to Florida for swim training camp, but in between everything he was doing still took the time to help me with everything I needed.



I first saw this series of shots by photographer CoverUp on Jack's facebook fan page. I encourage you all to go there now and 'like' Jack is looking to get 10,000 by his birthday this week and I know the FH readers can help him out. You can find his fb page HERE:



Jack says about his work with CoverUp:

I liked doing this shoot because it was more artistic and moody that my usual shoots. It was about capturing a moment or a subtle emotion. I was unshaven and my hair was messy so the images have a grittier more natural feel. Usually everything is uberslick and photoshopped which I also like but this had a different vibe. His direction was minimal but definitive and he really wanted to experiment with light and shadow.

It was exactly the natural feel to these shots that drew me to them. As a model Jack has a huge portfolio of great shots, but there was something special about this shoot that drew me in. Although obviously shot with intent, there was still something almost voyeuristic about them, almost as if you were capturing Jack in a quiet moment not meant for the camera.

Much of New York Photographer CoverUp's work has that feel. You can check out more of his work at his Flickr page HERE: His Expressions series is especially emotion filled.



As for other news in Jack's professional life, he just finished another shoot and I has 3 more planned next month. Jack is currently training for the US Swimming Masters Nationals in Atlanta and the Gay Games in Cologne this summer.

Jack filmed a pilot for a fashion game show called "Who Wore it Best" on the Oxygen network and still awaiting word of a pick-up. Jack is also producing a reality show about New York drag queens and is still designing since his appearance on Project Runway.

Jack continues to travel around the country and speak about fighting the stigma of HIV. For more information please visit Jack's official Site HERE: and follow him on Twitter HERE: