Popular Post

Josh Charles in 'Threesome'



Back in 1994, before gay characters were allowed to actually have a happy ending in movies, and before Stephen Baldwin became so frightening, Threesome was quite groundbreaking.

Lara Flynn Boyle played Alex who due to a computer mix up ends up in a dorm with two men. The sex obsessed Stuart (Baldwin) and the 'am I gay or not' Eddy (Josh Charles). Thankfully unlike other movies around this time, Eddy did not end up in love with Alex, coming to the conclusion he was straight. He actually realizes he is indeed gay and ends up happy with a boyfriend at the time.



Josh was certainly a highlight for me in this movie as I could relate to much of his story. Baldwin's Stuart was a revelation to me though as I think it may have been the first time I remember watching a straight man in a movie so comfortable with having a gay man attracted to him. The scene where he puts Eddy's hand on his butt during a threesome may seem like a small thing, but really was such a powerful scene.



Kudos to the cast, writers, producer and director of Threesome. What could have been a 'National Lampoon' comedy, or a movie done to exploit was written, directed and acted in a sensitive and thoughtful way. I have not seen this flick in many years, but think it is time for a re-watch.